Who Can Enroll

Students take credit courses through UW Non-Degree Enrollment for many reasons, including to:

  • Prepare for graduate school at the UW or elsewhere
  • Meet admission requirements for the UW or another school
  • Build professional skills for career advancement
  •  “Test drive” a different field of study
  • Get a feel for what UW courses and the UW experience are like


Almost anyone can take a UW credit course through Non-Degree Enrollment, provided they get instructor and departmental approval and there’s space in the course. Because matriculated students — those officially enrolled in a UW degree program — are given priority in course registration, non-degree students are enrolled in courses on a space-available, standby basis. Learn more about registration.

There are additional requirements for these groups of students:  

International Students

If you are an international student, you may only take courses through Non-Degree Enrollment if you already have a current, valid I-20 from Continuum College/UW Professional & Continuing Education or another school and plan to take classes at the UW while maintaining your F-1 status at that other school. We are unable to issue I-20s for Non-Degree Enrollment.

High School Students

To enroll in a course through Non-Degree Enrollment, high school students who are under 18 must have their parent or guardian sign a Under 18 Consent Form. This form will be sent to the student after they submit the NM Student Registration and Approval forms.

Other UW Programs

These other UW programs may be of interest:

  • UW Summer Quarter: Unlike Non-Degree Enrollment, in Summer Quarter you can register for UW credit courses without the need for instructor and department approval.
  • ACCESS Program:  If you’re 60 years of age or older and a Washington resident, you can audit University of Washington credit courses through the ACCESS program.
  • Tuition Exemption: Certain UW and Washington state employees are eligible to take courses through the Tuition Exemption program. If you fall into this category, don’t register through Non-Degree Enrollment; you’ll find special registration instructions on the Tuition Exemption web site.